As a disclaimer, I would say that I had a decent amount of experience on Nintendo Game Consoles. I started gaming with the Gameboy Advance when I was like 5 or something, moved all the way up to the Nintendo DS lite, and went on to PC. On PC, I only played with a Keyboard and mouse before playing Rocket League, which was the first game ever that I used a controller on. So basically, my first ever experience on using a controller was from Rocket League on 2015 after switching from kb/m.
So I just got my Nintendo Switch today. I got it personally for Mario Odyssey, Zelda, and the upcoming Kirby game cause Nintendo gifted me the best childhood I could have dreamed of.
But of course as a long time Rocket League player, I couldn't pass on Rocket League. I downloaded it alongside Mario Odyssey and tried it out a bit.
For me, I bought the Switch for the handheld functionality. I am personally expecting to play most games on handheld mode or sometimes the included controller dock thing. I downloaded it, downloaded the Batmobile DLC (Batmobile main for over 1500 hours), messed around a bit in freeplay and played a game. Here are my thoughts.
1. Graphics
So as expected, there aren't any video config options. It seems like everything is on mid-low settings, and bloom seems to be on which is kinda distracting for me cause I think it blurs a lot of stuff.
The resolution seems quite low. I can see the individual pixels, which means that the game is downscaled. But it was expected cause Rocket League is definitely a demanding game for devices like the switch.
Imo it makes me feel like Nintendo has done such a great job at optimizing the Odyssey and Zelda cause they look absolutely beautiful like the current AAA games on PC even at 720p.
2. Gameplay
First of all, here is one advice if you are gonna play Rocket League very often.
GET. A. PRO. CONTROLLER.
Seriously, the joycons are very unsuitable for Rocket League. It definitely depends on how you grab the controller but for me, I place my thumb across the B and Y buttons (A and X buttons on the XBOX controllers, Square and X buttons on the PS4 controller) and my thumb can't stop touching the right thumbstick. This moves the camera and can be very distracting.
Secondly, the "triggers" on the switch (I don't remember what they are called, the 2nd L and R buttons are what I am talking about, where the triggers will be on the XBOX and the PS4 Controllers) are not analog if some of you didn't know.
Not considering the digital input of the L2 and R2 buttons, the biggest problem is that there is a slight distance in which the L2 and R2 buttons can travel before they click. The face buttons don't have a loose "empty" travel before they click. When they are pressed, they click immediately. However for the switch, the L2 and R2 buttons have a false empty travel before they click. For players who are used to analog triggers, this will give you a false sense that you are driving, but in fact you aren't. Unless you actually click the buttons, the car doesn't move.
For long time Switch users who never played Rocket League on an XBOX or a PS4 controller, I recommend you sticking with the Mario Kart controller for a more quick adaptation, cause there aren't analog triggers to control your speed while driving anyways.
3. Input Lag
There is some noticeable input lag. I heard that VSYNC is on by default which you can't turn off, but I am not too sure personally so I won't confirm it here. Regardless, there is some noticeable delay on your movement compared to that on PC with VSYNC off.
4. Other remarks
Playing a game with cross platform off was a fresh experience. Everyone was new to the game at least in the match I played, and I felt like a god LUL. This must have been how the SARPBC pros felt when Rocket League first came out.
feelsgoodman
Anyways, this was my quick review of Rocket League on the Nintendo Switch. For those who are planning on purchasing it, I hope this helped. Personally I won't really recommend for users who already own this on a PC cause you won't be having a good time on handheld anyways, and if you are using a pro controller, you will likely have the switch docked on a proper screen anyways, in which I would just recommend you to play on PC instead.
For you Nintendo users who are new to the game, I would definitely recommend this game, cause I believe that it won't be a huge gap to overcome to start playing this game considering a lot of you might have experience on Mario Kart.
Honestly, when I first started this game, I was wondering if I should rebind my controls the same way as Mario Kart does. Rocket League was my first car driving game since Mario Kart DS. I ended up getting used to driving with the controller triggers but considering the switch doesn't have analog triggers, you will be better off just rebinding the buttons however you want.
Submitted by IoSonoFormaggio | #Specialdealer Special Offer Online Shopping Store 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment